Steve DeAngelo has been selected as the 2018 Tigard Shining Stars “From the Heart” Volunteer of the Year, named in honor of Jim Hartman. Jim Hartman set the standard for this award by his example of giving from the heart to his community, and the “From the Heart” award honors a person who has dedicated their time and energy to a specific cause in the Tigard community. This person gives willingly, energetically and consistently; they might be well known or might be a “quiet” volunteer, unrecognized until now, but always gives “from the heart”! This person may have worked on the same project for many years.
Steve DeAngelo has spent hundreds of hours of volunteering and playing a vital role in the
revitalization of Downtown Tigard in a variety of roles.
As the President of the Tigard Downtown Alliance an all volunteer led non-profit focused on the revitalization of Downtown Tigard, Steve has brought together key stakeholders from the city, community and businesses to help grow and revitalize Downtown Tigard. Under his leadership the TDA:
- Founded and organized itself with Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation in 2014
- Organized, applied for and received its 501 c (3) status in Feb 2016
- Applied for and received a $52K WCVA grant and raised $9.5K in private funding to design, purchase and install new Main Street décor and functional elements like the hanging glass baskets, bike racks, bike fix stations, additional benches and the cross-street banner system.
- Applied for and received a $5K Metro grant for a SubUrban Art project as part of Artwalk 2015, which won an Oregon Main Street Award.
- Continued and has grown three major community events; Street Fair, Trick or Treat Main Street and Holiday Tree Lighting leveraging Steve’s event planning experience.
- Has used the Oregon Main Street 4 Point Approach with their efforts of revitalization and are recognized as an Exploring District. One of the elements of this approach has been an annual stakeholder tour to other performing downtown districts to take away ideas that could benefit and be implemented in Tigard.
- Toured the Lake Oswego Gallery Without Walls which gave the TDA some vision for what could be in downtown as it relates to art. Steve used various connections made in that process and through Art Walk (a 4th annual event created by the TDA) to locate and install now 3 pieces of art on loan in the Downtown core, Peer at the corner of Burnham and Ash, Mobius next to Symposium Tigard/Tigard Chamber and an artistic Butterfly by Tigard Chiropractic.
In addition to the above, Steve stays connected with Downtown Tigard property owners, building relationships and working with them on helping fill vacant store fronts and discussing mix of business to help with the revitalization of downtown Tigard. Steve has continued to build relationships with the City of Tigard, the Oregon Main Street Association and other organizations ensuring communication of various grant opportunities that would benefit business and property owners, all focused on the revitalization of Downtown. The most recent evidence of this is another application from the TDA for a WCVA Tourism Capital Grant for artistic interpretive elements along the future Tigard Street Heritage Trail. Notice of award of this $35K grant was just received!
Keeping his focus downtown, Steve has also been a huge long-term supporter of the Tigard Farmers Market. He has not only been a long-time patron but has been an adviser and advocate for the market. He has been a Friend of the Market for the last two years. He also helped with the advocating the new market location as a participant on the Advisory Committee and communication to Downtown Tigard businesses. Finally, he played a huge role in helping put on and cater the Tigard Farmers Market's 1st annual Farm to Table Dinner this past year.
By all his actions listed and other activities, Steve has a heart for the heart of Downtown Tigard!
Please join us in congratulating Steve and thanking him for his service to our Tigard community. His award will be formally presented with other Tigard volunteer and business awards at Tigard’s 2018 Shining Stars Community Awards Gala. The event will be held on Friday, April 27th from 5:30-9 p.m. at Embassy Suites – Washington Square, our event location host. With a theme of “Masquerade”, this dressy themed dinner event includes dinner, silent auction, dessert dash, awards, and more. Tickets are $55/person. Dress your best and join us to celebrate Tigard!