The Tigard Chamber Government & Public Policy (GAPP) Subcommittee supports the Tigard Area Chamber of Commerce Mission of providing opportunities for consistent and sustainable long-term business growth by promoting public policy, rules and laws that support a healthy business and employment climate. We advocate with government on behalf of business, leveraging the voice of our members.
We are guided by the following objectives:
- Preserve the competitive enterprise system of business by creating a better understanding and appreciation of the importance of a strong economy, promoting intelligent business and public opinion regarding local, state, and national legislative and political affairs.
- Prevent policies which are detrimental to business, creating a greater appreciation of the value of competitive business.
- Promote healthy communities by: promoting economic programs designed to strengthen and expand the income potential of all classes of business, and opportunities for employment.
Other Guidelines Include:
- The use of taxes should be fair and equitable in providing services and programs that benefit the economic growth and the health and welfare of citizens.
- Reasonable regulations are necessary to a growing economy, unreasonable ones stifle growth and opportunity.
- Governmental policy needs to promote economic opportunity.
- As a general rule, overall government expenditures should not grow at rates greater than populations and inflation, or rates exceeding growth in income.
- Government must look for more efficient ways to provide services to maintain quality government within cost restraints.
- Making efforts to educate and inform public officials and media about the impact potential decisions could have on the area economy.
GAPP Team Members
- Tom Markgraf – TriMet, Committee Chair
- Tom Engel – Vantage Point HR
- Ethan Frelly – Beltran Properties Group, Incoming Board Chair
- John Trinh – Luke-Dorf
- Jessica Love – Tigard Chamber of Commerce
- John Cook – John Cook CPA
- Kim Haughn – Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue
- Troy Gagliano – Portland General Electric
- Tom Anderson – Tigard City Council
Interested in joining GAPP, email email@example.com
Committee meetings are held the 3rd Thursday of each month from 1:30pm – 2:30 pm at the Tigard Chamber.
Check our calendar of events
for more details on these and other chamber events.
Here is a great site to do some of your own research, as a Chamber member, on bills and other information from Salem: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1
We want to hear from you the business community about city, county and state legislative issues. Please be sure to call or email markgrat@TriMet.org
if you see anything you believe the Tigard Chamber GAPP should be aware of.